Trust Governance Structure
Please see the Trust Governance Structure below:
The layers of governance within the Bishop Konstant Catholic Academy Trust include:
- Members – responsible for holding the Trustees to account and ensuring the charitable object of the organisation is being fulfilled. They are the guardians of the governance of the Trust an are accountable to the Bishop. They are responsible for the appointment of the majority of Trustees.
- Trustees (Directors) – in conjunction with the CEO, have ultimate responsibility for making strategic decisions about the day to day running of the academies within the Trust and delivery of the three core governance functions. They have a duty to uphold he charitable object of the organisation. They are accountable to the Members and the Bishop (who is a Member).
- Governors – in conjunction with the Headteachers, support the Trustees by monitoring and challenging the performance of each academy at a local level.
The Bishop Konstant Catholic Academy Trust is a private limited company by guarantee and a charitable trust. Responsibility for the academies that make up the trust and for the funds granted by Parliament for providing education in those academies is entrusted to the Board of Trustees.
These Trustees are also the Directors of the company. Much of the work of the Trust Board is delegated to individual committees; for example, Resources & Risk Management, Standards, Policy, Mission & Catholic Life and Pay Committees. In addition, there is an Academy Council for each academy or a group of academies, which undertakes the governance function at a local level (in some cases a Rapid Improvement Group will be implemented to support rapid school improvement).
The Academy Council has delegated responsibility for monitoring the day-to-day running of the academy(ies). The Academy Council is made up of volunteers who serve as Foundation Governors, Parent Governors, Staff Governors and the Headteacher. Some Governors are appointed by the Diocesan Bishop whilst others are elected by parents or carers of pupils/students at the academy or by staff. A typical Academy Council includes:
- The Headteacher/Executive Headteacher;
- 2 Parent Governors;
- 1 Staff Governor;
- 6 Foundation Governors.
The Chair of the Trust Board may be contacted via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Being a Trustee or Governor?
If you feel you could make a positive contribution to the work of our Trustees or an Academy Council, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please view the Governor Vacancies page for more details.
Set out below is the operational structure within the Bishop Konstant Catholic Academy Trust including:
- CEO – appointed by the Trust Board in accordance with Diocesan protocols and employed by the Trust company. The CEO is responsible for the day to day operations, advising the Trust Board on strategy and policies and for delivering the Board’s vision and ethos. Also, appointed as Accounting Officer and has responsibility for the Trust’s financial effectiveness and stability. The CEO is responsible for the performance management of Headteachers and senior members of the Trust Central Team.
- Trust Central Team – appointed by the CEO and Trust Board (or representatives) to support the CEO to deliver all operational aspects of the day to day running of the Trust including HR, finance, governance, IT, compliance, premises management, risk, standards and performance. The Trust Central Team monitor and deliver on compliance with statutory requirements and governing documents.
- Headteachers – appointed by the CEO and Trust Board (or representatives) in accordance with Diocesan protocols. Headteachers are accountable to the Trustees, through the CEO for all aspects of the day to day management of the academy (or academies in an executive headship arrangement). They are responsible for the performance management of all staff within each academy.
- External Partners – engaged by the Trust to add capacity and support in delivering strategic objectives. They bring an external view and perspectives to support monitoring and evaluation and the drive for continual development and improvement.
Academy Leadership and Governance
The table below shows the names of the Headteachers and Chairs of Academy Councils:
|Academy||Chair of Academy Council||Headteacher/Executive Headteacher/Head of School|
|St Wilfrid’s Catholic High School and Sixth Form College||Karen Gayles||Philip Dore|
|St Thomas a Becket Catholic Secondary School||Catherine Cooper||Cathy Baxendale|
|Holy Family Catholic High School||Peter O’Neill||Donna Mitchell|
|English Martyrs Catholic Primary School||Claire Thomas||Tina Connell|
|Holy Family & St Michael’s Catholic Primary School||Michael Dougan||Claire Cade|
|Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School and St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Moorthorpe||Steve Dent||Louise Bird (Interim Executive Headteacher)
|St Austin’s Catholic Primary School||Michelle Selway||Rob Barraclough (Executive Headteacher)
John Molyneux (Head of School)
|St Benedict’s Catholic Primary School||Andrew Russell||Kieron Flood (Executive Headteacher)
John Woolley (Head of School)
|St Ignatius Catholic Primary School||Phil Kitson||Rob Barraclough (Interim Executive Headteacher)
Simon Bartram (Interim Headteacher)
|St John the Baptist Catholic Primary School||Paul Hogan||Kieron Flood (Executive Headteacher)
Katie Hartley (Head of School)
|St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Castleford||Patricia Holmes||Sarah Spencer|
|St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Goole||Catherine Murphy||Helen Cooke|
|St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Pontefract||Marlyn Morgan||Michaela Velayudhan Tomlin|
|St Mary’s Catholic Primary School||Helen Utting||Fiona Robertson|
Information about the full memberships of Academy Councils including meeting attendance records over the last academic year can be viewed on academy websites.