Train to Teach with the Diocese of Leeds BKCAT Alliance
The Diocese of Leeds BKCAT Alliance
The Diocese of Leeds BKCAT Alliance offers the opportunity to train to teach alongside serving outstanding teachers in a scheme overseen by St Wilfrid’s Catholic High School & Sixth Form College, Featherstone and St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Castleford.
Our Alliance works in partnership with Leeds Trinity University who accredit and co-deliver the course. The course is 100% school-based and leads to a PGCE qualification with QTS and Master’s credits.
These events are designed for anyone who has a degree and is interested in teaching, particularly those who are considering starting their initial teacher training in September 2024.
The events are perfect opportunities for you to learn all you need to know about teacher training, how to apply and any questions you may have about teaching will be answered.
We have expanded into a large partnership working with 16 schools across both Primary and Secondary phases in the region. Training with our Alliance can therefore be tailored to your needs and the type of school you are drawn to; with experience available in a range of settings.
All the schools are committed to playing a significant role in training their own future teachers as part of this collaborative network.
We offer opportunities to train in an environment where teaching and learning are centred on the teaching and example of Jesus Christ in secure, well-ordered schools which allow for the spiritual, emotional and intellectual growth of the pupils.
St Wilfrid’s has a national reputation as an award-winning school which makes it an ideal leader in our innovative approach to school-based teacher training.
St Joseph’s, Castleford leads the primary aspect of our Alliance, offering opportunities to train in an environment described by Ofsted as ‘exciting and challenging’ alongside outstanding practitioners.
Our Alliance partner schools are mainly located in the Wakefield, Leeds and Castleford areas of West Yorkshire and the Harrogate area of North Yorkshire.
Courses and Subjects Offered
- Primary PGCE (3-7) with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Primary PGCE (5-11) with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Secondary PGCE with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in the following subjects:
- Art & Design
- Business Studies
- Religious Education
Where to Find Us
Our Alliance’s main sites are located at St Wilfrid’s Catholic High School & Sixth Form College, Featherstone & St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Castleford.
Leeds Trinity University is located in Horsforth, Leeds. Although none of the course is delivered on campus, there may be occasional appointments that trainees are required to attend with University staff from time to time.
Secondary schools in our Alliance:
- St Thomas à Becket Catholic Secondary School, Wakefield
- Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School, Leeds
- St John Fisher Catholic Voluntary Academy, Dewsbury
- St John Fisher Catholic High School, Harrogate
- The Holy Family Catholic High School, Carlton
- All Saints Catholic College, Huddersfield
Primary schools in our Alliance:
- English Martyrs Catholic Primary School, Wakefield
- Holy Family & St Michaels Catholic Primary School, Pontefract
- Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Hemsworth
- St Austins Catholic Primary School, Wakefield
- St Benedict’s Catholic Primary School, Garforth
- St Ignatius Catholic Primary School, Ossett
- St John the Baptist Catholic Primary School, Normanton
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Goole
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Moorthorpe
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Pontefract
These locations can be viewed on the interactive map above.
Contact us using the below details for further information:
|Contact person||Kate Marsh|
|Website||Leeds Trinity University: The Diocese of Leeds BKCAT Alliance|
|Lead School Address|
St Wilfrid’s Catholic High School & Sixth Form College